My Latest EP

Monday, January 7, 2019

A Good Documentary on Music: "BBC Howard Goodall's Story of Music"

The first book I started to read in 2019 is Howard Goodall's "Story of Music". I am merely reading the first chapters of the book therefore I will not speak about the book but something I came across in the prologue. It says that the book is based on the 2012 BBC documentary series with the same title of the book, "Story of Music". One critic has mentioned that the series were much better than the book due to the fact that it allowed viewers the opportunity to actually listen to the musical examples that Goodall was referring to. In one opinion that is obviously true but on the other hand I am sure that the book will cover the 40,000 years of musical history and evolution in a much more detailed way. Anyhow I decided to watch the series along with the book, but as you can imagine that I could not stop (just 6 episodes) before I even finished the first chapter of the book...


I strongly recommend that all music lovers should watch the series for various reasons. First of all, Goodall's explanations are so very clear that even the most musically illiterate person can follow and enjoy the documentary. Second of all, he does not speak in an encyclopedical format but makes very valid comparisons and connections within musical history. Last but last least, he enriches his ideas with well-chosen musical examples.

Here is the link for the first episode of the series called "The Age of Discovery".


The following parts are "The Age of Invention", "The Age of Elegance and Sensibility", "The Age of Tragedy", "The Age of Rebellion" and the "Popular Age".

Give it a try, you won't regret it. Even the advanced music enthusiast will grasp many new things and further enjoy listening to music.

No comments:

Post a Comment