My Latest EP

Monday, December 7, 2020

Lost in technology or technology lost in music?

I was happy to see that Nils Frahm released an album last week called "Tripping With Nils Frahm". It is an album recorded live in a venue that I adore in Berlin. The iconic "Funkhouse" is a former GDR broadcast center built in the 1950s, located overlooking the River Spree in Berlin's east. The product of joint efforts by architects and acousticians to create a world-class broadcasting campus, the multi-purpose venue houses spaces dedicated to recording symphony orchestras, choirs, chamber and jazz ensembles, pop music and radio plays. 

The album consists of 8 tracks all recorded live during Nils Frahm's performances in December 2018. I think this recording is the pinnacle of his live recordings, even better compared to "Spaces". 

In my opinion, what makes Nils Frahm so ethereal and emotional is that he creates this atmosphere (I also had the chance to watch him live and what I am about to tell is more obvious in a live setting) via accomplishing to lose all that technology behind his music. Yes, he is always surrounded by many gadgets and towers of synths with thousands of knobs, but when he starts to play, all that technology somehow disappears and you are in the middle of a sonic ocean.

This album is no different. I do not know if his style has evolved in that fashion because he was a classically trained pianist but his sound world is cruising between classical and electronic and that is what makes him so unique.

"Tripping with Nils Frahm" is released also as a movie that I believe could be a great experience to watch.

Here is a trailer for you;


Let's finish with Nils Frahm's own words and listen to a great piece from the album...

"I think music can be the most beautiful drug experience of your life — it is almost like an addiction," Frahm says. "And also, the word 'tripping' came because I'm on this trip for the last 10, 11 years where I'm traveling the world to make my show. And so all of this became so intense that I thought, 'Yeah — it's a trip."

"Fundamental Values" by Nils Frahm

No comments:

Post a Comment