My Latest EP

Thursday, February 13, 2020

Which one is your favorite? - XXIII -

Normally I am not a big fan of country music but there are certain songs I love from the genre, and this one is definitely one of them.
This is a song written and performed by American country music artist Dolly Parton. It was released on October 15, 1973 as the first single and title track from her album of the same name, produced by Bob Ferguson.


Here is the song for this week;

"Jolene"

The song was ranked No. 217 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of "the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time" in 2004. 
The title was inspired by an encounter with a 10-year-old fan. "She had this beautiful red hair, this beautiful skin, these beautiful green eyes, and she was looking up at me, holding out for an autograph," Parton recalled to NPR in 2008. "I said, 'Well, you're the prettiest little thing I ever saw. So what is your name?' And she said, 'Jolene.' And I said, 'Jolene. Jolene. Jolene. Jolene. That is pretty. That sounds like a song. I'm going to write a song about that.'"
There is another version of the story of the song which is also told by Dolly Parton and that is the song tells of Parton confronting Jolene (a bank teller), a stunningly beautiful woman, who she worries will steal away her lover/husband.

Here are the versions of the song;

  • Miley Cyrus - "Jolene"
  • The White Stripes - "Jolene"
  • Sara Gazarek - "Jolene"
  • Sophie Ellis-Bextor - "Jolene"

And here is a funny version of Jolene by Theresa May, obviously out of the competition.



Now the floor is yours, go ahead and make your comments (here, Instagram, Facebook wherever you feel like...).


nb. Please note that I intentionally do not include the original versions of the songs as it would be a little unfair to the artists covering the songs, and I am sure that sometimes you will be surprised to see that the songs you thought were the originals are just covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment