My Latest EP

Thursday, September 5, 2019

Which one is your favorite? - III -

Here is the third post of the interactive series that recently started on the blog. All you need to do is to listen to the 3 different versions of the song I choose, pick the one that appeals to you the most and leave a comment on why you picked that particular one...You can make your comments here on the blog page (below the post), on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/atiblogger/) or on Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/atiblogger/)...

And our song for today is:

"The Man I Love"

It is a popular standard with music by George Gershwin and lyrics by his brother Ira.  It was originally intended to be part of the Gershwins' 1924 musical, "Lady, Be Good", with the title, "The Girl I Love". However this wonderful and timeless song could not become so popular in that era's musicals and was eventually dropped from "Lady, Be Good"...
The Gershwins tried to fit the song in somewhere else after it was dropped from "Lady, Be Good". With the new title, "The Man I Love," it appeared in satirical anti-war show, Strike Up the Band, in 1927 and then again in Flo Ziegfeld's Rosalie in 1928.
There was one person who did like the song, though. Lady Edwina Mountbatten, wife of the great-grandson of Queen Victoria and member of England's high society heard the song when George played it a party. It was not the least bit unusual for George to commandeer a piano at party during the Roaring Twenties and play his catalog of songs. He was not shy about his work or his talent. Lady Mountbatten took a copy of the music back to England and requested that her favorite dance orchestras play it. "The Man I Love" caught fire in London and Paris. Since then, the song is being played by artists from various musical genres.


And now the 3 versions I chose for you;


  • Hindi Zahra - "The Man I Love"
  • Kate Bush - "The Man I Love"
  • Caetano Veloso - "The Man I Love"

For this week, there's a bonus instrumental track for you (out of competition) that I like very much....

  • Ethan Iverson Quartet - "The Man I Love"


Now the floor is yours, go ahead and make your comments (here, Instagram, Facebook wherever you feel like...).


nb. Please note that I intentionally do not include the original versions of the songs as it would be a little unfair to the artists covering the songs, and I am sure that sometimes you will be surprised to see that the songs you thought were the originals are just covers...

5 comments:

  1. Kate Bush is one and only, so sensual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "man" one! 🙂 Great interpretation...👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of them are great covers but I like the one that Hindi Zahra sings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. where is the trumpet guy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iverson nails it just like he did when he was in Bad Plus

    ReplyDelete