My Latest EP

Friday, April 17, 2020

Which one is your favorite? - XXXII -

This week I have a song from the 60s which for many years I had thought that the best known cover had been the original and the original had been a cover version :) When I say Cher and Nancy Sinatra, probably you will realize which song I am talking about. I hope you like this song, written by Cher's husband at the time, Sonny Bono, as much as I do.

Here is the song for this week;

"Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)"

The song is the second single by American singer-actress Cher from her second album, The Sonny Side of Cher. Written by her then-husband Sonny Bono and released in 1966, the song reached No. 3 in the UK Singles Chart and No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 for a single week (behind "(You're My) Soul and Inspiration" by The Righteous Brothers), eventually becoming one of Cher's biggest-selling singles of the 1960s.

In this song, Cher recalls playing childhood games with a boy when he would shoot her with his toy gun. They grow up together and get married but then he leaves her. She has again been shot down, but this time it's for real and she is devastated.

Here are the 8 versions I picked for you;

  • Lady Gaga - "Bang Bang"
  • Bria Skonberg - "Bang Bang"
  • Ania - "Bang Bang"
  • Dalida - "Bang Bang"
  • David Guetta & Skylar Grey - "Bang Bang"
  • Nancy Sinatra - "Bang Bang"
  • Paul Weller - "Bang Bang"
  • Isobel Campbell - "Bang Bang"

Now the floor is yours, go ahead and make your comments (here, Instagram, Facebook wherever you feel like...).


nb. Please note that I intentionally do not include the original versions of the songs as it would be a little unfair to the artists covering the songs, and I am sure that sometimes you will be surprised to see that the songs you thought were the originals are just covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment